Thursday, July 9, 2009

Marseille


Before flying to Oslo, I spent the day in Marseille, the heart of the French Riviera. Marseille has been an important figure since the Roman Empire, playing the role of one of the busiest ports in the region. The unique shape of the harbor along with the mouth of the Rhone River allow for both an easily defended area and fresh water, making Marseille invaluable. During my visit there, I wanted to see as much as possible of the city is about six hours.
I arrived at the Gare St. Charles by train at 8:30am, put my bag in a locker, and immediately bought an all day subway, tram, and bus pass for the city. On a quick side note, the transit system in Marseille, a city with less than one million inhabitants, is extremely efficient. Subways and trams allow quick access to all areas of the city, and where they don’t go, buses do. The recently constructed system is quick, clean, and easy to navigate, making any tourist’s visit very frustration free. My first stop was Vieux Port, the historical harbor area of Marseille. After stepping off the subway, while still underground, I could smell the unmistakable scent of a fish market, telling me I was in the right place. The harbor area is lined with a market of every kind of fish in the area, all for sale by local families. In the water behind them, boats of every shape and size fill the harbor, providing enough surface area to walk clear across the harbor without getting wet. Apartments and restaurants lined the area, providing a perfect mix of tourists and locals.
I proceeded to walk to the end of the harbor area towards the beaches east of the historical area. On the way, I passed the two forts which overlook the city, both still in near perfect condition. In the near distance, I could see the island from which the “Count of Monte Cristo” comes from, surrounded by crystal blue water that I have only seen so clearly in some areas of the Caribbean. The walk east was lined with small coves, many providing perfect swimming and snorkeling areas. Also, two small beaches provided a great recreation area, with volleyball courts and protected swimming areas. Apartments and houses lined the coast, many with a priceless view of the Mediterranean Sea. Every half a kilometer, there would be a small bike rack where on could rent bikes anywhere in the city for a very reasonable price. Bikes were kept on magnets that could be released by credit card, which would hold a 100€ deposit until the return of the bike anywhere in the city. Although I didn’t try one, I’m sure that the bikes are very practical, especially for those short on time.
Walking inland a bit, the roads became small and buildings taller. The streets were lined with street vendors, hostels, hotels, and restaurants. I stopped at a small Italian owned restaurant for a quick burger and fries after realizing that the classic “Marseille Fish and Chips” couldn’t be found for less than twelve Euros. After lunch, I made my way by bus to the north east part of the city, where there are great overlooks of the area. Old churches and art galleries are common in this area, providing a very cultured experience in just the hour of walking through. The view from above gives you an idea of just how many boats are in the harbor, many of which people actually live in for the summer. After spending some time here, I hopped on a subway and arrived back where I started in less than ten minutes. My flight for Oslo left at 4:55 p.m.
In an earlier post, I mentioned that Marseille now takes the place of my favorite city in the world. Let me elaborate. Marseille provides many of my favorite features, including coastline, a large but not dense population, French language, and class. By class I mean the way in which the city looks. There are those cities that come across as well cared for, well run, and which contain an overall very happy population. That is how I saw Marseille in the short time I was there. All this provides what I personally feel is the perfect setting for a classic international city. Small details, such as reasonable real estate pricing, an efficient transportation system, and a still vivid historical background just add to my delight in the city. Overall, Marseille would be somewhere where I would love to spend some time in the future. If you ever get the opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it.


One of two Forts Overlooking the City

A Church in the NE part of Marseille

Typical Inland Street

A Giraffe of Books in the NE district

The Coastline
Coca-Cola!

Love the buildings along the coast

The World War I Memorial

Perfect Dining Experience (Not where I ate)

BLUE water

The walk east

To give you an idea of how many boats are there


The Historical Harbor area

The Coastline - Notice the small natural (and not) swimming areas

No comments:

Post a Comment