Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Le Course a Pied


To you, this may seem like an insignificant train schedule, but to me it is so much more. For me, it is proof. Sunday night, I left for my run. Now not having ran on Saturday, I wanted to get a little more in. I left around 8pm because of the hot weather, still with about two hours of sunlight left. I ran to the town center, and still feeling energized, decided to circle the town. I did it again, then as I was running along the edge of town, I noticed the sign for Pierrelatte and headed that way. I reached the outer point of town, and decided to keep going. At this point I said, "Why not, lets go to Pierrelatte". At about 5kms I reached "The Wall" for any of you athletes out there. Basically, there is a point where cramps and soreness reach their peak, then drop off completely as your body goes into a "routine". After this point, you basically become a machine and feel very little soreness. So ya, I reached that point quickly and kept going. I ran around the far side of Pierrelatte and then stopped at the trainstation to pick up this train schedule. The trainstation has no water fountain, nor does anything else in France. Public water fountains are unheard of. Coming back, I stopped at a friends house and he kindly gave me some water. I arrived back at the base just after 11pm. I ran a total of approximately (give or take 2kms) 30 kilometers in about 3 hrs. Now that is still 12kms short of a full olympic marathon, but still a personal record. Now that I am at this point, maybe sometime this fall I will actually try a full marathon. O, and if you are wondering if it is dangerous, not really. All the roads in France (well, most) have a "bike lane" on each side of the road allowing for seperate traffic, even at round-a-bouts. So even on highways there is plenty of space, plus the shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment